Graphically triangles occur more frequently than any other shape, and they are very useable in design. In construction they are the simplest shape of all, and this has much to do with their abundance. In the same way lines have certain associations, so do specific shapes – or rather, they can associations in some kinds of picture – and triangles, because they have at least two diagonals, tend to create a sensation of activity and dynamism.
• The Art Of Photography (OCA course book), Part 2, Shapes – Triangles, p.88
Produce two sets of triangular compositions, one using “real” triangles, the other using “implied” triangles.
Part 1 – Real:
- a) Find a subject which is itself triangular
- b) Make a triangle by perspective converging towards the top of the frame
- c) Make an inverted triangle also by perspective, converging towards the bottom of the frame
Part 2 – Implied
- a) Make a still-life arrangement of five or six objects to produce a triangle with the apex at the top.
- b) Make a still-life arrangement of five or six objects to produce a triangle with the apex at the bottom.
- c) Arrange three people in a group picture in such a way that either their faces or lines of their bodies makes a triangle.
a) Triangle section of bicycle frame.
b) Triangle by perspective, converging at the top
c) Triangle by perspective, converging at the bottom
I found it difficult to create something suitable for this particular image. I just could not find something that gave the required perspective in which the implied triangle’s apex converged at the bottom until a unique perspective and a willing subject helped point the way.
a) Still-life arrangement of five or six objects in a triangle, with apex at top
b) Still-life arrangement of five or six objects in a traingle, with apex at bottom
I think I may have taken this too literally, simply arranging found objects as apparently required. I’m not sure if some kind of still-life arrangement would have been better, but would probably have taken quite some time to arrange suitably.
c) Three people arranged to form a triangle
>>>photo to be inserted<<<